Repatriating a Deceased Body

Repatriation from abroad to England or Wales

The foreign registration authority will issue a death certificate that needs to be taken to the registrar of the district in which the burial or cremation is taking place. The registrar will issue a document called a 'Certificate of no liability to register'. This document must then be given to the funeral director in order to allow the funeral to proceed.

Local Register Offices

If you require any further information please contact:

Cheshire East Register Office
Municipal Buildings
Earle Street
Tel: 0300 123 5019

Repatriation abroad

Overseas burials

Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before permission is granted for the body to be transported to the country for burial. The certificate, if issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease occurred in the borough for some three months prior to the death.

Cadaver certificates

The responsibility of obtaining the cadaver certificate is usually handled by the funeral director. The funeral director makes the arrangements on behalf of the relatives and/or friends of the deceased. The funeral director will also assist the Coroner and the overseas authorities with the requirements of the cadaver's transportation to the relevant country. Some of these requirements may also apply for burial in another part of the United Kingdom.